Does this shade have a particular name? Or is it just called a solar shade ? shade


It is known as an awning:

awning noun [ C ]

a cloth or plastic cover fastened to a building or structure and supported by a frame that is used to protect someone or something from the sun or rain:

The gaily striped awnings of the market stalls made an attractive scene.

Cambridge Dictionary

  • 1
    I think awning is fine in the US as well. In my opinion, a "sunshade" is something I put in my car's windshield to keep the car from getting too hot when it's parked. – ColleenV Nov 19 '17 at 22:43
  • If a word is used (almost) exclusively in the US, the Cambridge Dictionary simply writes "US word" behind the UK variant; here it was "US also sunshade". I've seen this distinction many times inside this dictionary. – mondegreen dispenser Nov 20 '17 at 1:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.