Having evaded wretchedness, the gay young man making up his shining life in the city is one of civilization’s wonders, and Édouard Louis is a new, inspiring real-life example of such transfiguration.
Making something of his life after a long period of strife...
The article author, who is also gay, may also have made a pun on "make up" that the young man ultimately improved and polished his life.
63. make up,
- to put together; construct; compile.
- Also, make up for. to compensate for; make good.
- to complete.
- to put in order; arrange:
- to conclude; decide.
- to settle amicably, as differences.
- to become reconciled, as after a quarrel.