Are there English surnames that begin with the article "The"?

(For example "Therock" or even with separate words like "The Rock".)

I was wondering this because in my language (Italian) there are many.

closed as off-topic by FumbleFingers, Mick, Nathan Tuggy, Andrew, Rompey Nov 21 '17 at 19:21

  • This question does not appear to be about learning the English language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Not really, and certainly none that start with the definite article. There are Thebe, Thelwall, Theobald, Theobold, and Thexton in my telephone directory. – Mick Nov 21 '17 at 17:08
  • in English, these are epithets rather than family names. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Nov 21 '17 at 21:52

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.