What's called in English for this type of Chinese food? It's made of rice and water. Refer to the picture.

  • 1
    The dish is not common (at least in the UK), and would probably only be found in Chinese restaurants and the Chinese community. Rice porridge (or porage), and rice congée (if you want to be posh) sound OK (and Google knows about them). Connoisseurs of Chinese cuisine would probably know it by its Chinese name. I'm afraid I just order sweet and sour chicken, and egg-fried rice. I would avoid rice gruel. Gruel has negative connotations, and was a dish that only the poorest of people would eat (see Charles Dickens: Oliver Twist).
    – Mick
    Nov 26 '17 at 11:29
  • Are you looking for a term that would be understood by most native English speakers? Nov 27 '17 at 10:11
  • @Tᴚoɯɐuo, yes, or commonly used among most native English speakers.
    – dan
    Nov 28 '17 at 2:20

The "proper" term is the Chinese name, congee. It's a perfectly acceptable (if not widely known) borrowed food term, like sushi or spanokopita or falafel or borscht or soufflé or (the ironically named) chop suey.

Congee (n): (in Chinese cooking) broth or porridge made from rice.

"Rice porridge" would also be fine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.