I am trying to find one word to say one thing but cannot. Let's see:

enter image description here

I've tried googling for one font that has this feature but I have not managed to so far. Can someone please help?

  • 5
    In cattle brands (North America) "lazy A". – Keith McClary Nov 27 '17 at 3:31
  • 2
    BTW, for the original A, you would say it's "upright" or "rightside up", maybe "standing". – wjandrea Nov 27 '17 at 5:53
  • 3
    Your "upside down" could also be "inverted". – JAB Nov 27 '17 at 18:32
  • 1
    Note that "inverted" could take on a different meaning for letters that are not bilaterally symmetric: e.g. p resembles a rotated d, but q resembles an inverted d. – Doktor J Nov 28 '17 at 14:27
  • 2
    @JAB, because A has so much symmetry it's not clear whether OP's "upside down" is inverted or turned (which is the standard term for letters which have been rotated by 180 degrees). – Peter Taylor Nov 28 '17 at 14:56

Either of these might work:

  • The third letter is sideways.
  • The third letter is rotated 90 degrees.

I suppose you could also say:

  • The third letter is tilted at a right angle.

but I don’t think you’ll have as much luck with that one on Google.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 3
    Yes, these. Note that for the second, you might want to say rotated 90 degrees clockwise if you need to be very precise (e.g. if you're trying to describe a graphic that you need reproduced) and could also just say rotated if you don't need much precision at all, as most folks will assume a rotation of approximately 90° if you don't specify (in very loose terms, more than that would be upside down and less would be tilted). – 1006a Nov 27 '17 at 18:43
  • I think most people, in day-to-day speech, would go with the first option (sideways). As @1006a commented, adding "clockwise" (or "counter-clockwise"/"anti-clockwise") makes option 2 the most precise -- tells which "sideways" it is, and by how much (exactly 90 degrees). I wouldn't normally use "tilted" unless referring to something that's rotated less than 90 degrees, and probably only less than 45 degrees: the point at which the letter becomes more "sideways" than "upright". – Doktor J Nov 28 '17 at 14:25
  • The first option is what Wikipedia says, claiming to be based on the Unicode standard. I haven't independently verified this. – Peter Taylor Nov 28 '17 at 14:55
  • How about Horizontal? – Jalapeno Nov 28 '17 at 19:55
  • @JonasB - I don't think horizontal is a good suggestion. This picture explains why. – J.R. Nov 28 '17 at 21:30

The official language in the Unicode Consortium uses the terms “sideways” and the detailed description “displayed sideways, rotated 90 degrees clockwise”. I'm sure they spent a lot of time arguing over the best words to use!

The simple adjective sideways is understandable without confusion. The description rotated clockwise is unambiguous with respect to which side.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 6
    "The description rotated clockwise is unambiguous." It's extremely ambiguous if you don't specify a degree of rotation – Kevin Nov 27 '17 at 13:11
  • 4
    @Kevin "Rotate left" and "right" are pretty standard terms in graphics editing programs, and they don't need to specify 90° to be unambiguous. – Mr Lister Nov 27 '17 at 20:17

That would be a sideways A. Not a perfect way to say it, but I think it will work in this case.

|improve this answer|||||

One way of describing this would be to say "A is on its side"

|improve this answer|||||

It might be good to include what direction it's rotated: "Rotated 90 degrees clockwise."

|improve this answer|||||

It's a form of a vertical font or vertical typography. Vertical typography can have the characters 'upright', but the text is printed vertically. A variant is to print the words rotated 90 degrees to the right or left.

|improve this answer|||||

To say it colloquially, you could say "The capital letter A is lying down" or a similar phrase that implies resting or sleeping.

The visual image of that might help cross linguistic boundries.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.