According to the Collins dictionary:

PhD in British

abbreviation for

Doctor of Philosophy

Well in American

PhD in American or Ph.D.

Doctor of Philosophy

But sometimes I also see it's abbreviated to "Ph.D".

Questions: Is PhD the only form used in British? And in American, both PhD and Ph.D. are acceptable? What about "Ph.D"? Is it used in some other areas?

  • "Ph.D" is internally inconsistent. Either you use the practice of using "." to indicate omitted characters or you don't. – jsheeran Dec 1 '17 at 14:08
  • pH D could also mean the pH value of Deuterium. Context is what makes these differences clear for the most part. – Neil Dec 1 '17 at 14:15
  • @Neil, I am only talking about the abbreviation of Doctor of Philosophy. – dan Dec 1 '17 at 14:18
  • 1
    I'd like to know where you've seen it abbreviated as "Ph.D" – was it in reputable sources like published books, news articles, and published curricula from reputable institutions? Or merely in occasional discussion threads or online chats? It sounds like simple careless typing to me. – J.R. Dec 1 '17 at 15:41
  • 1
    Sure, but periods with abbreviations are slowly slipping out of vogue. – J.R. Dec 2 '17 at 3:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.