This tool

The tool is used to start the engine of the tractor below. Is it called 'crank' or something else?



1 Answer 1


Yes it is called a crank. I remember my father using one on the farm.

it's name comes from the fact that it turns the crankshaft (a major part of the engine that operates the pistons).

  • 4
    Its name comes from the fact that cranking is what it does. Also what the crankshaft does.
    – Robusto
    Dec 2, 2017 at 2:51
  • In Br-Eng that would be more usually referred to as a 'starting handle'. Also anything that shape is generically called a crank - nothing to do with the fact that it engages with the crankshaft of the engine - although of course the crankshaft is so-named because it too is that shape.
    – peterG
    Dec 2, 2017 at 18:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .