My grandmother makes noise like "sssshhhh" in very cold weather.

which word can I describe this activity/sound?


  • 1
    I think she is trembling (from the cold weather), and the sound she is making is hissing, which I'm not used to. (It's typically Brr...) However, I think she might be gasping or panting. Dec 26 '13 at 10:46

Your grandmother is shivering. The word you are using is called an onomatopoeia, which is a word that is spelled in such a way as to make the sound.

Different cultures around the world make sounds differently. See, for example, this Wikipedia page. Often, Americans will spell the sound "brr." In Russia, I saw it spelled "zhzh" (actually it was in Cyrillic, but this is the English equivalent).

  • 1
    Thanks, @DamkerngT. Aren't they fun? When I've traveled and met new folks, comparing the way we vocalize sounds always seemed lighten the mood and lead to a stronger connection.
    – Scotty
    Dec 26 '13 at 19:36
  • They're really fun. I also took an opportunity to update some Thai words there too. :) Dec 26 '13 at 19:37


Pronunced "Burr, it's cold out!"

You can also roll the "rrr" if your flappy English speaking tongue can manage it!



What about "teeth chattering from cold"?

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .