What is this thing called ? Is it just a ‘Glass Half-wall’ or does it have another name? And what if it was outdoors ? enter image description here

  • 8
    Some people see the glass half empty, some see it half full, some see the glass half wall. Seriously, though, I guess the main point of this wall is to keep people from walking off of the edge of the upper split level? – foobarbecue Dec 3 '17 at 0:29
  • A glass pony wall. – bishop Dec 3 '17 at 21:10
  • 1
    That moment when you realise this question wasn't about some bizarre variation on "glass half full" – Clonkex Dec 3 '17 at 22:43

I would call it a half-height glass separation or partition.

The pinterest image you showed was found using those keywords

Interestingly enough so was Pony wall and Half wall

A pony wall is a short wall. In different circumstances, it may refer to: a half wall that only extends partway from floor to ceiling, without supporting anything. a stem wall, a concrete wall that extends from the foundation slab to the cripple wall or floor joists.Wikipedia

| improve this answer | |
  • The very meaning of half-wall is that it looks like a wall. It is solid, may be even decorated the same way as walls. If it is glass, or fine woodwork, or whatever, it is not a wall. – Barafu Albino Dec 3 '17 at 2:42
  • 4
    I disagree. Glass walls are walls. I even had a half wall made of glass bricks – mplungjan Dec 3 '17 at 5:19

I've seen the following two, though they may be technically wrong:

  • Glass Banister
  • Glass Balustrade

(British English)

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    As an Australian, balustrade was my first thought too, the same as you have on a balcony. – Wes Toleman Dec 3 '17 at 2:07
  • 1
    I don’t think either one of those is technically wrong. – J.R. Dec 3 '17 at 12:53
  • 2
    In my mind, a bannister is the part of the stars. Balustrade is a long expanse of protection from falling off a balcony or inner walkway – mplungjan Dec 3 '17 at 18:01

I would call it a "wood-framed glass railing". If it were outdoors, I might call it a "wood-framed glass fence".

If the top edge of the railing/fence were glass (instead of wood), I would just call it a "glass railing".

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    But the railing is wood! – David Richerby Dec 2 '17 at 20:57
  • Jasper, whether exterior or interior the name is always "railing". a glass wall or a glass fence is a very different thing. Also, notice that no matter whether it is entirely made of glass or partially it will still be a glass railing and because it has more than one component - it is a system. compare a standalone railing with a railing system composed of several railings. Btw, the top edge is probably the handrail as far as I know. – SovereignSun Dec 3 '17 at 17:15
  • A railing is normally only on the side of the stairs. – mplungjan Dec 3 '17 at 17:59
  • 3
    @mplungjan No, you are wrong. A railing can be wherever it needs to be. A balcony can have a railing, a border of a pool can have a railing. – SovereignSun Dec 3 '17 at 18:08
  • @SovereignSun Yes, but do we include the part underneath, in this case the glass part, in the word "railing"? – Mr Lister Dec 3 '17 at 18:18

Actually, this is simply a part of the glass railing system. Basically, a glass guardrail. You can often see these in malls and supermarkets, and in office buildings.

My personal thoughts: People may mistakenly think it's a half wall or a partition wall but it's not. It doesn't split, separate or divide the room. It doesn't enclose an area within a larger area. Notice that it isn't standalone unlike half walls or partition walls, it is a combination of two guardrails creating a railing system.

What you see here is just a kind of a glass railing system with the handrail made of wood and with rather wide glass panels. The guardrail on the staircase is also a part of the glass railing system. You can google for "interior glass railing systems" and you'll find a lot of examples.

Here are a few examples of such interior glass railing systems:

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • I agree that this is a better name for what’s in the picture. I’m not sure I’d go so far as to say that glass half-wall would be a “mistake”. – J.R. Dec 3 '17 at 12:49
  • @J.R. Thank you for your comment. I've edited so that people understand that that paragraph is my personal thought. – SovereignSun Dec 3 '17 at 17:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.