When referring to something that covers another things, normally there are 3 words:

  • cover
  • lid
  • top

My question refers to the cover of a pot. What is the usual word for that in English? (I don't want to be weird and refer it in a word that is not normally for that).

enter image description here

1 Answer 1



The other two are easily understood but not used for pots and pans. "Cover" might be something soft or not fitted to the pot. "Top" would potentially be used to refer to a piece of a cooking tool that is not a pot, like maybe a kettle.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .