In English as in many language, there are things which their names are made of two words or nouns, such as: shower-stall, toilet-room, washing-machines, and so on. My question is what is the name of the first component and the second component? (As far as I know the second component only can become plural)

  • 2
    Those are called compound nouns. But washing machine does not need a hyphen. Some compound nouns are simply two words. I have never heard of toilet room.
    – Lambie
    Commented Dec 9, 2017 at 16:14

1 Answer 1


Things which their names are made of two words are called: compound words.

Then there are "open compound words" and "closed compound words" as follow:

open compound words, such as living-room, coffee-mug.

closed compound words, such as bookstore, notebook.

Source: compound words.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .