Since "Was it inconvenient to you?" is a simple direct question, the answer "Yes" or "No" will suffice:
- "Yes." (You are correct.)
- "No." (You are incorrect.)
We can make the replies more informative:
- "Yes, it was inconvenient. I was busy doing something else."
- "No, it wasn't inconvenient. I just couldn't be bothered to pick up the phone."
- "No, it was convenient. I wasn't doing anything at the time."
Loaded questions are more tricky to answer, since neither "Yes" nor "No" will do: The question:
- "Are you still beating your wife?"
cannot really be answered with "Yes" or "No", since:
- "Yes." can be interpreted as "I no longer beat my wife."
- "No." can be interpreted as "I am still beating my wife."
In this case, a rebuttal is needed:
- "I have never beaten my wife."
Unless, of course you do beat your wife.