I've looked up translations for the French word “cahier de brouillon,” and I've gotten two translations: “rough book” and “draft notebook.”

I'm talking about a small (note?)book wherein you write rough notes/make drafts.

How do Americans call it?


If it's a generic book with empty (or lined...) pages, you probably want a journal.

If you want to make drawings and prefer thicker or specialized paper, you need a sketchbook.

The thin booklets usec by many European students ("Cahier d'exercices" in French) are rather unusual in the US, most students use notebooks, which are bound with a wire spiral and often perforated pages for easier removal.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy