I've noted your conversation regarding the Latin pace, meaning "not in agreement with." Doesn't cf mean the same thing? What terms is appropriate when citing a scholar who is, in fact, in agreement with the stated argument?

  • 5
    As far as I know, cf stands for compare. Dec 22, 2017 at 22:15
  • 1
    In textual criticism it's N prob. (for L probante) or N approb. (for L approbante), where N is the name or symbol for the authority agreeing. Dec 22, 2017 at 22:18
  • @StoneyB Please do not post answers in the comment field. Aug 27, 2018 at 20:20
  • @RyanJensen It's not an answer, merely a suggestion for further investigation; I've never seen this outside of very old-fashioned textual criticism. Aug 27, 2018 at 21:53
  • Latin pace means "with respect" (lit. 'peace'). It doesn't by itself indicate whether you agree or disagree with the respected authority.
    – amI
    Oct 17, 2018 at 8:23

1 Answer 1


As this is a site for learners of the English language, might it not be a good idea to use English words rather than abbreviations of Latin words, especially when, pace @aml, those Latin words are not always used in ways that are strictly correct in Latin? (It occurs to me that the colloquial modern English translation of 'pace' in this context is 'no offence [meant]', but I would not recommend using those words in a formal context.)

So, nobody will misunderstand if you quote something and then comment "with which [Name] agrees [insert reference]". As @StoneyB, notes the Latin version is now very old-fashioned. I would say that it has reached the point of being pretentious to use these Latin abbreviations.

  • "concurs" might also be a good word to use.
    – rjpond
    Feb 11, 2021 at 7:46
  • @rjpond You are right
    – JeremyC
    Feb 12, 2021 at 9:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .