I want to express that my character was walking away after her friend teased her a bit but she's trying to be serious. I don't want it to come off as she's angry, but just annoyed.

So I don't know if "stormed" or "stomped" would be a good match?

  • Yes they’re ;in addition to stump, pace and careen. – Bavyan Yaldo Jan 3 '18 at 0:59
  • 1
    "stormed" or "stomped" would be considered angry responses. Maybe "she walked off" or "she walked away". – user3169 Jan 3 '18 at 1:00
  • If you use stormed or stomped, it should be stormed off, or stomped off, or stomped away. – Jelila Feb 16 '18 at 17:56
  • She could leave in a huff. Huff is a word meaning upset, perhaps exhaling an audible sigh and whirling around. It might be the word you want. – EllieK Jul 14 at 13:47

Strutted off. It means to go away walking with attitude, stiffly.


Went off in a huff. To 'go off in a fit of petty annoyance'.


| improve this answer | |

Maybe "left abruptly" would work. Doesn't really say she's angry...just that she "had enough".

| improve this answer | |
  • Please add references. – CJ Dennis Feb 8 at 23:46

Perhaps "marched off". We can use "to march off" to mean that someone leaves abruptly, perhaps in an irritated way, without paying attention to the feelings of those around.

| improve this answer | |
  • Can you talk a bit more why this is a suitable phrase to the question? We expect answers to be informative and explanatory. – Eddie Kal Jul 12 at 17:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.