I'm really confused about it, sometimes I read something and it refers to {} as curly braces and sometimes to curly brackets, what is the difference between those two terms? Are they referring to the same thing?


Braces: (also known as curly brackets, or curly braces)

enter image description here

Yes, they are the same thing.

And, actually, there are many names for it. According to Wikipedia,

{ } — braces (UK and US), flower brackets (India), French brackets, curly brackets, definite brackets, swirly brackets, curly braces, birdie brackets, Scottish brackets, squirrelly brackets, gullwings, seagulls, squiggly brackets, Tuborg brackets (DK), accolades (NL), pointy brackets, or fancy brackets

| improve this answer | |
  • I had an elementary school teacher who referred to them (informally) as Alfred Hitchcocks, owing to their resemblance to the famed director's profile. – J.R. Jan 2 '14 at 23:22
  • They're the same thing. As a UK speaker my feeling is that most Brits would refer to "brackets" whilst "braces" is more of a US usage. – FakeDIY Jan 3 '14 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.