Lets say a company was using another company's services, but decided to move away to a different company. What is the correct verb for that?

I've looked in the dictionary for antonyms of cooperation but most of them didn't feel right. For example, if I use disjoint it seems like they were working together.

Should I use unsubscribe?

  • 1
    No, unsubscribe has a far more specific meaning. Also, you must decide whether you wish to speak about the relationship/partnership between the two companies, or about the services provided. You can end a relationship and discontinue services.
    – TimR
    Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 11:16
  • Most of the answers thus far are focusing on verbs for leaving the first company. If you're looking for a verb that encompasses both parts of the transaction, you could consider migrate, as in: It seems there are a million and one tutorials on how to migrate your email from Gmail to Outlook, but instructions for migrating the other way are not as easy to find; or, Netflix billing migration to AWS.
    – J.R.
    Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 16:09
  • @J.R., I think you comment should be an answer. Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 18:21
  • 1
    When a customer leaves us, we use the term "deconvert". No, it doesn't make sense to me either.
    – John Bode
    Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 18:37
  • I would suggest "transfer": "We are transferring our advertizing account from XYZ to ABC."
    – K.A.Monica
    Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 23:22

4 Answers 4


Terminate comes to mind

We have decided to terminate (our use of) your services

And the provider can respond

You have successfully terminated your use of our services

On your request, we have discontinued our services

  • 2
    "discontinue" is a good phrasing even for the request. "We have decided to discontinue using your services," or "We can no longer continue using your services."
    – urnonav
    Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 20:40
  • Relationship is also handy the thing being terminated. "We have terminated our relationship with ACME."
    – Elby Cloud
    Commented Jan 5, 2018 at 19:45

In colloquial usage, you can fire (American English) or sack (British English) a supplier or business partner, just as you can fire or sack (i.e. terminate the employment of) an employee.

How to fire a supplier

How to sack your IT supplier


Both "canceling" and "cancellation" could work, depending on the context. As in cancelling an active service, such as internet, shipping, electricity, etc., or the cancellation of a contract.


How about disengage, or dissociate (can also be written as disassociate)?

More passive than terminate, if that was what was required?

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .