I have a question: Is there a word for the missing liquid in an unopened bottle? If any of you can recall, bottles that contain liquid are not usually filled to the top; they have an area that isn't full, much like a bag of potato chips. Is there a word in English for this? I think there may be as I think I've heard it before, but I can't remember and just wanted to know.

Thank you for taking the time to find out.

  • P.S. I think I've just remembered it. It's ullage. Can anyone confirm that I am correct? or is this just used for lost liquid?
    – Nick
    Jan 6 '18 at 4:41
  • Please use existing tags - a tag with a single question associated with it isn't useful. There is some information on tags in the help center and the Death of Meta Tags blog post.
    – ColleenV
    Jan 6 '18 at 13:31

Merriam Webster online states:

Definition of ullage

: the amount that a container (such as a tank or cask) lacks of being full

(And what clumsy definition that is.)

Oxford online says much the same, but expresses it better, and is broader:

Definition of ullage in English:



mass noun

1 The amount by which a container falls short of being full.

  • Thanks. When I wrote this question, I couldn't remember the word, but it later popped into my head and I was pretty sure that I had remembered it correctly.
    – Nick
    Jan 6 '18 at 5:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.