What is the name of an entity - a room or a couple rooms, or a small detached building serving the role of a tiny hospital within a larger entity (military base, prison, or even a ship.) Essentially, a place where the sick of the enclosed entity are treated, either for milder cases where actual hospital is not necessary, or when access to a real hospital is unavailable.

  • That sounds like a sick bay to me, especially for ships. Another word that might be more generic, but I'm not sure about being one or two rooms, is a ward. Jan 3, 2014 at 14:25
  • 1
    I thought sick bay was reserved to the military & ships? In a boarding school it is an infirmary. There are first aid rooms (or units) in workplaces. The word might well vary according to the place...
    – None
    Jan 3, 2014 at 14:38
  • @Laure: It is quite possible English has different words for different forms of that kind of entity - in my language one word covers mostly all of them.
    – SF.
    Jan 3, 2014 at 14:52
  • And it might be different in UK, USA, Australia, ...
    – None
    Jan 3, 2014 at 14:56
  • In places like schools and large businesses in the US you might just call it "The Nurse's Office"
    – Jim
    Jan 3, 2014 at 15:03

2 Answers 2


Aboard a ship, it is called a sickbay. Considering the definitions of it here http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/sickbay?q=sickbay and here http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/sickbay, this might also be suitable to use when talking about such a room in general, even when it is on land.

According to this link http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/infirmary, the word infirmary can used be used in general but, it does not include ships.


I'd vote for "infirmary". Also possible are "clinic" or, as Jim says, "nurse's office".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .