Is there a difference between blanket and comforter?

Today, by googling and looking for the name of the cover of the blanket I found that it is called "comforter cover" and then I saw that the meaning of comforter is the the same as blanket allegedly. Is it indeed the same and it is used the same as a synonym?

  • 2
    A comforter is usually synonymous with "duvet". It is a thick blanket filled with down or some other insulating material, whereas a blanket is thin and usually used when someone is sleeping on the couch and wants to keep warm.
    – Nick
    Jan 10, 2018 at 20:41
  • 1
    Blankets are usually woven. Comforters can be made of stitched pieces of fabric.
    – TimR
    Jan 10, 2018 at 20:58

2 Answers 2


At least in my (American English) usage:

Blanket: a warm bed covering that is much thicker than a bed sheet, but is only a single layer of material. It's usually woven or felted.

Afghan: a blanket that is coarsely crocheted. More associated with warming your lap while sitting than with a bed covering.

Throw: a light blanket meant to be draped (thrown) across a chair or sofa and used by the chair's occupant if necessary.

Bedspread: a colorful, medium-weight bed covering that makes the bed look attractive when fully made up. It may or may not be removed for sleeping.

Comforter: a warm bed covering that has a decorative cover and some sort of filling (down, polyfill, foam, etc.), but is sewn shut. You cannot remove the filling. Often used instead of a bedspread.

Quilt: structurally much like a comforter, but the cover is often made from many pieces of cloth sewn together in a decorative pattern, and then the whole thing is "quilted", which means criss-crossed with stitching. Popular as folk art.

Duvet: A more recent European import, once rare in America but now increasingly common (the comforter is becoming an endangered species as compared to the duvet). A very plain cloth envelope filled with thick fluffy filling like a comforter. Unlike a comforter, there is a separate duvet cover that is decoratively colored and can be removed and washed separately.

  • In British English there is also the Eiderdown, a type of quilt stuffed with eider duck down.
    – Sarriesfan
    Jan 10, 2018 at 23:33

In a sense, the two of them refer to about the same thing. However, they aren't usually interchanged. Usually, a blanket is smaller and thinner. It can be used in a lot of situations. However, a comforter is usually larger, thicker, and only used on a bed.

In addition, "blanket" is used more in informal speech. "Comforter" is used more in formal speech, especially when discussing items in business, or making a recommendation to a customer.

  • 1
    Also, there is a distributional difference. "Blanket" is found in both UK an US English. "Comforter" (in this sense) is restricted to American English.
    – James K
    Jan 10, 2018 at 21:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .