Say if by gripping a pen, the thumb is placed on top of other fingers (the index finger in the example below), instead of touching the pen itself, how would you name that position? A short expression with as few words as possible is appreciated.

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


This is called a thumb wrap according to these experts.

  • I changed it. Just for my own info, did you downvote me for that?? :)
    – Lambie
    Jan 17, 2018 at 17:18
  • No, it wasn't me. I just upvoted you for the correction :)
    – Andrew
    Jan 17, 2018 at 17:22
  • @PeterKämpf Bear in mind, there is nothing "official" about it. Seems to be the same picture as the one you posted. Somebody is ripping off pictures, wouldn't you say? :)
    – Lambie
    Jan 17, 2018 at 18:01
  • @Lambie: No, I made the picture myself; both are similar but use a different pen and a different hand ;-) Jan 17, 2018 at 21:10

It looks like:

someone holding a pen in his fist.

It's not entirely accurate, and also implies a tight grip, but does convey that it looks awkward.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .