I'm writing a report and I want to describe some data points A becomes discrepant from data points B when a control parameter increases. I think I have learned a one-word expression for being discrepant from something, but I can't remember it. I think it was like divert or something, but the dictionary says divert has another meaning, not what I intended. Could anyone recommend such a word?


I've attached an example figure. enter image description here

What I want to describe is that the graph is gradually changing from the solid line to the dotted line, as in the figure.

  • 3
    Do you maybe mean they diverge, or are divergent? – user22427 Jan 19 '18 at 15:05
  • @Jan I'd expect that's the correct word as well. It certainly fits the mathematical definition. – Jakob Lovern Jan 19 '18 at 16:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.