Is teacher of English the same as English teacher and if not, what is the difference between?

I am an English teacher.

I am a teacher of English.

  • English teacher- a teacher whose nationality is England(Britain). but a teacher of English is literally what it is saying -a teacher of English language. – kumar Jan 29 '18 at 13:57
  • 1
    @ram "A teacher who is English by nationality" is one possible meaning, so in those casese where there is potential for ambiguity, "teacher of English" should always be used. But where there is no potential of ambiguity, "teacher of English" can be easily attributized to "an English teacher" – tenebris2020 Jan 29 '18 at 14:38

They are virtually the same, "a teacher of English" is more formal; "an English teacher" or "our English teacher" a bit shortened and used where a phrase "X of something" would complicate the syntax of the sentence.

However, if you are introducing yourself, I'd say it's best to use "I am a teacher of English" as a more formal, substantial phrase.

But "an English teacher" is totally correct, too. See it used in a book by two Brits.

| improve this answer | |

'English' is a word used both for the language and the nationality (of people who hail from England). So, when we say "I am an English teacher.", People may take the speaker as a teacher who lives in England. When we phrase it like - "I am a teacher or English language.", it becomes pretty much clear. Well, these days, both the notions are in play so you can use any of them.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.