Say, you are in a P.E. storeroom. Someone opens the door. So the light comes from behind the person, making the front part black. How do you call this physical phenomena (in colloquial words)?

Example sentence:

Fumiko thought the P.E. storeroom was the best place to hide. At least until the door creaked open and a __ figure.

  • ... what happened to Fumiko? You can't just leave us hanging!
    – Andrew
    Feb 3, 2018 at 5:11
  • @Andrew Fumiko was in the P.E storeroom to hide from her crush. Because she farts every time she's face to face with the guy she likes. In the end, the guy finds her there and things blow up.
    – alex
    Feb 4, 2018 at 7:57

1 Answer 1


I think the word you're looking for is either backlit or silhouetted.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .