Is there a street verb or an idiomatic saying that's used to say that a vehicle passed the (red traffic) light or a STOP sign without stopping?


It's called running the sign, or the light. (Native AmE here.)

  • 1
    I knew it as jumping traffic lights – Ronald Sole Mar 9 '18 at 0:25
  • 2
    I've only ever heard "jumping" the light to mean going (starting from a stopped position) before the light turns green. – spoko Mar 9 '18 at 3:57
  • It's possible that the expression I knew was particular to the multilingual African country in which I grew up - where traffic lights were (and still are) known as robots. – Ronald Sole Mar 9 '18 at 8:39
  • 1
    Running is definitely the common AmE expression for someone who ignores a stop sign or red light entirely. There's also the related "rolling stop" which is where you slow down significantly as you approach the intersection, but never come to a complete stop before proceeding through the intersection. – PMV Mar 10 '18 at 4:19
  • @PMV Where I'm from in a flyover state, we also refer to that as a "Califormia stop." I have no idea why, unless it just stems from the vague rural sense that people in more populated areas think the rules are beneath them. – spoko Mar 12 '18 at 13:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.