What do you call fireworks that are bought for the sound they make when fired? Formally and especially colloquially?

I have found some names like firecrackers and bang snaps. However, I don't know if they are what I am looking for. What I am looking for are those explosives that are as big as a cigarette or smaller.


Small, paper-wrapped gunpowder cylinders with a fuse sticking out whose sole purpose is to make noise are called firecrackers. There are larger diameter variants called M-80's, M-90's but the general term is firecracker. If the purpose is to go up in the air and explode or emit sparks then they are not firecrackers, but fireworks.

  • 1
    I should probably add pictures, but I don't have time before work; maybe tonight. – Jim Jan 17 '14 at 15:07
  • 1
    Thank you Jim, and here's one if you like it. – learner Jan 17 '14 at 16:02
  • Thanks. That pictures shows firecrackers and an M-2 and a cherry bomb (the round green one). – Jim Jan 17 '14 at 16:45
  • 1
    BrEng: they're called "Bangers" – peterG Jan 9 '16 at 0:57

The first words came to me was pops or poppers (it turned out that only the latter is common). However, googling for pop firecrackers, I found things like Pop Pop Firecrackers, Pop Pop Snappers, along with this Wikipedia page: Bang snaps,

Bang snaps (also known as Throwdowns, snap-its, poppers, pop-its, snappers, whip'n pops, whipper snappers, fun snaps or snap'n pops) are a type of small novelty firework sold as a trick noisemaker.

However, I think the more common word would be, as Jim mentioned, firecracker,

A firecracker (cracker, noise maker, banger, or bunger) is a small explosive device primarily designed to produce a large amount of noise, especially in the form of a loud bang; any visual effect is incidental to this goal.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.