What are the colloquial names for juice boxes like the one below of children's size?

A juice box, also called a carton or popper, is a small container used to conveniently carry and consume drinks (most often juice). They are frequently made of paperboard with an aluminum foil lining, but variations exist. Juice boxes are most popular with children, although other uses include emergency drinking water and wine. (Wikipedia)

enter image description here

  • Juice boxes are more formally known as aseptic packages.
    – user88031
    Commented Jan 11, 2019 at 20:52

5 Answers 5


I've only ever heard these called juice boxes. I was not aware of any other name for them. But you've actually answered your own question in your question, with the information from the wikipedia article you linked:

A juice box, also called a carton or popper, is a small container used to conveniently carry and consume drinks (most often juice).

I've never heard carton or popper, but those might be regional terms (or BrE?). I'd just stick with calling them juice boxes. But the answer is in the question!

  • I think carton is BrE. However I am no native speaker of any English variety. Britons are welcome to pitch in.
    – learner
    Commented Jan 18, 2014 at 19:39
  • I've heard them called juice cartons (surely you've heard milk carton, right?), but I agree that juice boxes seems to be winning out. I wonder if a popper differs from a carton because you "pop" the straw through the foil (as opposed to a traditional carton, which gets opened by unfolding).
    – J.R.
    Commented Jan 19, 2014 at 8:19
  • learner, in England and the rest of the UK, they are normally known as packets. Sometimes, they are known as cartons.
    – Tristan
    Commented Jan 19, 2014 at 15:43
  • @J.R. I'd understand juice carton just fine, but I hadn't heard anyone actually call them that :) Even when they're not in box-shape (Capri Sun comes to mind as the most common other shape) I still hear juice box. Tristan's packet actually makes more sense for the non-box-shaped ones; maybe we should pick that up in the US! :)
    – WendiKidd
    Commented Jan 19, 2014 at 18:02
  • I would agree that "juice boxes" is the best name. It is colloquial, from my perspective. I've never heard them called anything else. As for Capri-Sun, I usually just call them "Capri-Suns". Commented Jun 9, 2014 at 13:38

"Popper" is an Australian term which I think comes from how when you're finished you can blow the carton up and jump on it to make a "pop" sound (although not too certain on this). I think however that this is a regional variation within Australia even as some people (esp. Victorians and Tasmanians) call it a "Juice box" and have no idea what Im talking about when I say Popper


In British they’re cartons, just not necessarily juice cartons, rather cartons of juice. A bit long winded, but just how it is.

I’ve never heard of poppers in this context before, only as a substitute for the word ‘buttons’, usually by elder folks; though I do believe that ‘Juice Box’ is the American term for cartons of juice.

  • For the record - a popper is a press-stud/snap fastener, not a button. Commented Feb 26, 2022 at 11:31

I've called it a "Tetra Pak" since I was a child. It seems this term is actually the name of the company that developed the technology, and the package itself is called a "Tetra Brik".


Juice box does not exist in the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. These containers are called cartons in British English.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .