Is there a word to refer to the quality of an object (or person) to distinguish other distinct objects?

  • What's wrong with the noun distinctness? Mar 22, 2018 at 15:35

3 Answers 3


What do you think of the words recognizability, distinguishability and discernibility?

  • Distinguishability sounds good. Anything fancier?
    – mysan
    Mar 22, 2018 at 17:28
  • Discernibility sounds fancy enough. Mar 22, 2018 at 17:30

Well the grammatically correct version of 'separatableness' would be 'separability'.

However I think 'uniqueness' or 'distinctiveness' fits what you're looking for better.

  • Distinctiveness works well here.
    – James K
    Mar 22, 2018 at 15:41
  • Wouldn't distinctiveness solely mean that the object in consideration is different from other objects? I want to say that the object has the ability to distinguish between other objects.
    – mysan
    Mar 22, 2018 at 17:31
  • Oh so you're saying you have object A, which has the ability to tell the difference between objects B and C. You want to describe that ability of A?
    – Ethan
    Mar 23, 2018 at 8:07

I'd go with unique, or uniqueness


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .