Is there a word to refer to the quality of an object (or person) to distinguish other distinct objects?

  • What's wrong with the noun distinctness? – Michael Rybkin Mar 22 '18 at 15:35

What do you think of the words recognizability, distinguishability and discernibility?

  • Distinguishability sounds good. Anything fancier? – Anoop Mysore Mar 22 '18 at 17:28
  • Discernibility sounds fancy enough. – Michael Rybkin Mar 22 '18 at 17:30

Well the grammatically correct version of 'separatableness' would be 'separability'.

However I think 'uniqueness' or 'distinctiveness' fits what you're looking for better.

  • Distinctiveness works well here. – James K Mar 22 '18 at 15:41
  • Wouldn't distinctiveness solely mean that the object in consideration is different from other objects? I want to say that the object has the ability to distinguish between other objects. – Anoop Mysore Mar 22 '18 at 17:31
  • Oh so you're saying you have object A, which has the ability to tell the difference between objects B and C. You want to describe that ability of A? – Ethan Mar 23 '18 at 8:07

I'd go with unique, or uniqueness

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.