I'm referring to something like this:

enter image description here

Or they are just called jewelry?

1 Answer 1


I think it depends on the type of jewelry. Those look like beads or sequins, possibly both. From M-W:

Definition of bead for English Language Learners
: a small, usually round piece of glass, wood, stone, etc., that has a hole through its center and that is put on a string with other similar pieces and worn as jewelry or that is sewn onto clothing
Definition of sequin for English Language Learners
: a small piece of shiny metal or plastic that is sewn onto clothes as a decoration

I found a link with this particular picture and they call the dress "Champagne Beaded Prom Dress".

As @m_a_s points out, there are also rhinestones:

Definition of rhinestone for Students
: a small imitation gem used in jewelry or for decoration

  • Don't forget rhinestones.
    – m_a_s
    Mar 24, 2018 at 4:53
  • I see. So they're called jewelry.
    – alex
    Mar 24, 2018 at 9:16
  • @alex Yes, you can call them jewelry, but that's a broad term. It does not imply that it is used on clothing.
    – Em.
    Mar 24, 2018 at 9:35
  • 2
    @alex My wife works as a professional tailor, so we see many gowns like the one in the picture. What you see there is called beading; the dress is beaded. "Jewelry" is just wrong: jewelry means separate pieces like necklaces, rings, bracelets, etc., not things that are part of clothing.
    – stangdon
    Mar 24, 2018 at 13:21
  • @stangdon This should be an answer!
    – alex
    Mar 25, 2018 at 1:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .