I'm referring to something like this:

enter image description here

Or they are just called jewelry?


I think it depends on the type of jewelry. Those look like beads or sequins, possibly both. From M-W:

Definition of bead for English Language Learners
: a small, usually round piece of glass, wood, stone, etc., that has a hole through its center and that is put on a string with other similar pieces and worn as jewelry or that is sewn onto clothing
Definition of sequin for English Language Learners
: a small piece of shiny metal or plastic that is sewn onto clothes as a decoration

I found a link with this particular picture and they call the dress "Champagne Beaded Prom Dress".

As @m_a_s points out, there are also rhinestones:

Definition of rhinestone for Students
: a small imitation gem used in jewelry or for decoration

  • Don't forget rhinestones. – m_a_s Mar 24 '18 at 4:53
  • I see. So they're called jewelry. – alex Mar 24 '18 at 9:16
  • @alex Yes, you can call them jewelry, but that's a broad term. It does not imply that it is used on clothing. – Em. Mar 24 '18 at 9:35
  • 2
    @alex My wife works as a professional tailor, so we see many gowns like the one in the picture. What you see there is called beading; the dress is beaded. "Jewelry" is just wrong: jewelry means separate pieces like necklaces, rings, bracelets, etc., not things that are part of clothing. – stangdon Mar 24 '18 at 13:21
  • @stangdon This should be an answer! – alex Mar 25 '18 at 1:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.