I'm looking for a word that means a set of words such as "noun", "adverb", "adjective", "verb", "preposition", "conjunction", etc...

What is the proper word to mean that? If I search for it in my native language I got "a part of speech", but feel that there is a word.

  • We often use the term 'category" as an alternant to 'part of speech'. – BillJ Mar 26 '18 at 9:00

I don't know about a single word. A more technical term that doesn't mean precisely the same as "parts of speech" is syntactic category. If you only want the categories that apply to individual words, not to phrases, you can use lexical categories.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.