What is the correct adjective to describe when something is fried for too long or at a high heat? To fry "strong"? To fry "hard"? Can't pick the word that would sound authentic.

  • 2
    I don't think there is a specific word for it, but you could say that something is burnt, black or overcooked, though I would interpret the last as boiled for too long rather than fried for too long.
    – JavaLatte
    Commented Apr 2, 2018 at 12:50

1 Answer 1


Are participles allowed? If so, an adverb plus the participle are idiomatic: for example, over fried or badly fried or excessively fried. In many contexts, charred, over cooked, or burnt would also work.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .