I have some points placed on the same line, and I want to say that each side by side pair of points must be chosen to be investigated. However, the phrase "side by side" is actually adverbial, which means that I cannot use it as an adjective.

How can I explain two points that are not placed between any other points?

  • You can certainly use side-by-side like an adjective - for example, "The two pieces are side-by-side."
    – stangdon
    Apr 5, 2018 at 16:07
  • If the points are in two columns with a separation in the middle, side-by-side is best.
    – Lambie
    Apr 5, 2018 at 16:45
  • If, on the other hand, the points are all in a row, then you could say "each consecutive pair of points". Apr 5, 2018 at 21:31

1 Answer 1


You could say adjacent points. The adjective adjacent basically means situated next to each other. I think this is the most common term used to describe a situation where two things are either literally touching each other or positioned in such a way that while there might be some space between them they're still physically very close to one another.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .