Could you please tell me, how to call these things in English

N.B. monograms, ciphers, cartouches don't fit the meaning

Thank you in advance

enter image description here

  • 1
    Looks like an acanthus motif. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Apr 21 '18 at 19:53
  • 1
    These decorative patterns can sometimes be specifically defined and sometimes not. Heraldry and Greek architecture are two places where these types of designs were used. Yes, the acanthus leaf is on a Doric column, I believe. [Heraldry is a b***h, the terminology makes one pull out one's hair.:)] – Lambie Apr 21 '18 at 20:01

The general term for this is scroll decoration or scrollwork. This is most often seen in architecture, on buildings that emulate classical (Greek or Roman) or medieval (European) decoration.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Specifically, your example is of foliated scrollwork:

In art history, a "floriated" or "flower scroll" has flowers, often in the centre of the volutes, and a "foliated" or "leaf scroll" shows leaves in varying degrees of profusion along the stems.

I'm not certain Lambie's answer of "whorls" is incorrect, since a whorl might be considered a subcategory of scrollwork:



A whorl:

In botany, a whorl or verticil is an arrangement of sepals, petals, leaves, stipules or branches that radiate from a single point and surround or wrap around the stem.

a whorl of leaves

There are probably heraldry terms that might fit also. but whorl or whorl of leaves works well for your picture as two leaves come off a central stem.

more definitions or examples for whorl

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.