Which of the following options is correct?

The phone is plugged into a wall unit / wall jack / wall outlet.

I'd appreciate your help.

  • 4
    This may very well depend on who you're talking to, as well as local/regional conventional usage. Here in the NYC area, I would invariably say 'jack', because I'm somewhat technically oriented - but I have some non-technical acquaintances who say 'outlet', and others who follow my usage and say 'jack'. – Jeff Zeitlin Apr 24 '18 at 11:35
  • @JeffZeitlin What about a wall unit? – Apollyon Apr 24 '18 at 11:47
  • 2
    I have never heard that used. In this area, a "wall unit" is another - somewhat dated - term for what is now generally called a "Home Entertainment Center" (e.g., an integrated piece of furniture affixed to the wall that has space for a TV, stereo, record player/tape player/CD player/etc., storage for recordings, possibly bookshelves as well). – Jeff Zeitlin Apr 24 '18 at 12:03
  • 2
    It's hard to give you a good answer because you don't say what you're trying to mean. Are you talking about one of these or one of these? – stangdon Apr 24 '18 at 12:16
  • 2
    I usually call them wall sockets. To me, a wall unit is a large piece of furniture with shelves and/or cupboards, And a jack is the male audio/video connector on either end of the lead for something like an electric guitar - both ends of which plug in to jack sockets (one on the guitar itself, the other on the amplifier). – FumbleFingers Apr 24 '18 at 13:11

Assuming you mean one of these (increasingly rare) things:

enter image description here

As the comments indicate, this may vary considerably by region. I grew up calling it

a (tele)phone jack,


a (tele)phone socket

I would understand what you meant by "wall jack" or "wall outlet" but neither sounds idiomatic. However a "wall unit" sounds like a piece of furniture integrated into the wall. Examples:

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    The term outlet suggests a one-way flow, which is appropriate for a power source, but not for conversations. – amI Apr 24 '18 at 16:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.