is there a legal term to refer to "public right prosecution" which is a fine charged by the public prosecution in the case a complain was filed against a drawer of a bounced cheque.. the drawer is subject to criminal charges and a fine for the public right prosecution? thank you

  • Do you mean: a law that prosecutes financial fraud?
    – Lambie
    May 7, 2018 at 22:32

1 Answer 1


The law varies based on the legal jurisdiction. In the US, there may be a financial penalty which is called just a "fine". For example, in California:

Most criminal violations of Penal Code 476a PC California's bad checks law are what we call "wobblers." A California wobbler is a charge that the prosecution may file as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on

  • the facts of the case, and
  • your criminal history.

If you are convicted of the California misdemeanor charge, you face up to one year in a county jail and a maximum $1,000 fine. If you are convicted of the California felony charge, you face 16 months or two or three years in the California state prison and a maximum $10,000 fine.

If you are talking about a different jurisdiction, then it probably depends on the specific language of the local law.

The office of the "public right prosecution" may not exist in the United States. Fines are paid to some level of government (the city, the county, the state, or the federal government) but usually through an agency of some kind (like the county court or the Internal Revenue Service) and not to a specific person.

  • I doubt whether writing bad checks is a misdemeanor....
    – Lambie
    May 7, 2018 at 22:51
  • @Lambie apparently it is in California if the total value of the checks is less than $950, and the person has not previously been convicted of three or more forgery-related infractions. source 1 and source 2 . I actually don't see anything about felony vs. misdemeanor in the text of the law, so I'm going to have to accept the shouselaw site on faith, as other sites corroborate.
    – Andrew
    May 8, 2018 at 0:10
  • thank you Andrew and Lambie.. what Andrew wrote is very close.. however, the term I am looking for is related to the name of the "fine" or the financial penalty charged by the Prosecution Attorney office and not to the felony.. it is charged as a compensation for disturbing the public..and it varies as Andrew said..maybe in the US there is no such fine and it is only in a couple of Arab countries ..if you are not familiar with it..
    – Han
    May 8, 2018 at 7:29
  • @Haneen That particular office probably doesn't exist here.
    – Andrew
    May 8, 2018 at 8:40
  • @Haneen It may exist if I could grasp what you mean by right of public prosecution. Please note: prosecuting attorney general. There are fines given in common law countries for "disturbing the peace". But that's for bad behavior in public: too much noise or drunkenness.
    – Lambie
    May 8, 2018 at 13:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .