• You put a solid object into "something".
  • You pour a liquid into "something".
  • You ___ a gas into "something".

With that "something" being a three-dimensional container large enough to hold the objects in question.

What is the word for referring to the act of "putting" gas inside a container (for the lack of a better word)?

Gas is ____ into a pistonless cylinder on a cold day.

Would "filled" work in this case?

  • 2
    gas (but not gasoline gas) is fed (verb: feed) into pipes and also flows through them.
    – Lambie
    May 20, 2018 at 18:38
  • 2
    gas can also be pumped into or through a system. So can gasoline.
    – Lambie
    May 20, 2018 at 19:15

5 Answers 5


Gas can be injected, and you can also inject a liquid.

You inject a gas into "something".


Gas is injected into a pistonless cylinder on a cold day.

I am not sure what is meant by a "pistonless cylinder", but if the cylinder has a piston the engine may be called "GTI" or "TDI" and in both cases the "I" stands for "injection".


What word you use depends on how exactly the gas is being moved into the container. For example, it is possible for you to:

A generic verb you can use is put, which is also used with liquids and gasses. The verb fill would work if you are making the container full. It can be used in these two ways (i.e. active and passive):

  • You fill the container with something
  • The container is filled with something

That "something" can be gas, liquid, or solid.


Gas can be "put" into a place by several ways.

Since gas responds to pressure differences, if the pressure drives the gas from place to place, you can say that the gas flows into a container. There is no passive form for that, but you can say the gas is driven by the pressure.

If you use a pump to force gas into a chamber with a high pressure, then you pump or force the gas into it.

Another verb, used especially when the container has no gas initially, is fill. You can fill a balloon with gas or fill gas into the balloon.

Note that in your question you assume that pour is used only for liquid, but you can also pour some solids that are granular, like sand, sugar, or wheat, and technically you can pour a heavier gas into a container which holds a lighter gas. Pouring literally describes filling using gravity, and metaphorically can mean any flowing movement of substance or entities.



to reduce in size, quantity, or volume as if by squeezing
compress the air in a closed chamber


Gas is compressed into a pistonless cylinder on a cold day.


Your question uses into but if you're also looking for a verb that would work with scenarios that would require to (i.e. a conduit rather than a receptacle):

Gas can be passed.

The gas is then passed several times into the pipette containing potassium hydroxide solution...

The gas is then passed over vanadium pentoxide catalyst in a packed bed column reactor in a single or double contact process...

The gas is then passed to a baghouse (or electrostatic precipitator). Baghouses have higher removal efficiencies than precipitators.

Gas can also be sent into or directed into (something).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .