I am making name tags (badges) for international science conference. There are three category of participant:

  1. Speakers - they will speak the reports.
  2. Visitors - they will listen to the speakers.
  3. Third category (I don't know how right it call) - they will to provide conference, to evaluate reports, to regulate discussion etc.

In my native language this is literally called Organising Committee. But I want to do badges that will meet to standards of english language.
The question: How properly to call third category of participants? To my mind - if them call like staff, then it will be insulting for professors and other important persons who will be in the comission.

1 Answer 1


Organizing Committee Member would be perfectly acceptable in English. However, long titles are not often used on name tags/badges, so you might want to shorten it to Organizer, or perhaps Moderator. Sometimes, this role may be referred to as Referee, but I've encountered objections to that because conferences are not sporting events.

As @JayA.Little notes in the comments, Coordinator is also a valid possibility.

Staff is not insulting or demeaning, unless you're thinking of confusion with the people who manage the facility (e.g., the people you talk to when a lightbulb is out).

  • 1
    Agreed, you can also add "Coordinator". Commented May 24, 2018 at 13:44
  • That's a silly reason to object to referee. That said, I'd still avoid the term referee, because (a) it's not a good catch-all term, and (b) that word has a rather specific meaning in the scientific community.
    – J.R.
    Commented May 24, 2018 at 15:17
  • @J.R. - I don't disagree; I merely note that it has happened. Commented May 24, 2018 at 15:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .