While writing a blog, a question struck my mind:

What do we call to the person who can write many words, say 3000-5000 words, in a day?

I tried to google the answer but failed. Is there any word in English for such a strong writer?

  • 1
    A person who produces a significant output of words is called a writer. There's no specific word that defines the output as having to occur within a single day.
    – TimR
    Commented May 25, 2018 at 11:01
  • Some kind of an enthusiast?
    – holydragon
    Commented May 25, 2018 at 11:04
  • There are also journalists known as hacks who can bang out that many words a day.
    – Lambie
    Commented May 25, 2018 at 11:04
  • 2
    It might be worth noting that hack is typically used pejoratively. Another term that might be used is author, which would be more respectful than condescending. I like what @Tᴚoɯɐuo said, there’s not really a word for this; rather than focusing on the word for the person, you’d probably be better off looking for a suitable adjective, such as prolific, accomplished, or productive.
    – J.R.
    Commented May 25, 2018 at 11:07
  • 1
    A hack is condescending. For sure. A person can write 5,000 words a day and be writing dime-store romances or crap literature. We were asked for another term, not for a positive one, if I'm not mistaken.
    – Lambie
    Commented May 25, 2018 at 11:25

2 Answers 2


Assuming that the number you gave represents an unusually high output (and that's what you're trying to describe), then they could be said to be prolific:

marked by abundant inventiveness or productivity · a prolific composer

producing a large amount of something

  • The extent to which an author is prolific is usually measured by their number and length of published works, not the daily rate at which they produce first draft material. Fortunately, if the author's first drafts are nonredundant and of good quality, authors who write quickly are more likely to have lots of published material than authors who write slowly.
    – Jasper
    Commented Jan 25, 2019 at 19:21

prolific, productive, dedicated, consumed (by the writing project to the extent of all else), focused, clear-headed, flowing as in "with flowing, easy prose" or "overflowing with words"

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .