I want to say something like

I am working through the textbook A.

By which I mean, reading the book (and occasionally rereading certain paragraphs), doing (almost) all of its exercises and thinking about the topics that are taught in that textbook. Essentially using that textbook for self-studying.

I am not sure if that expression "working through" is right or if it sounds somewhat natural to an English speaker.

What are some good expressions to use for the situation I described above?

  • 1
    I am working my way through . . . Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 17:50
  • 1
    "..working through the textbook", is perfectly acceptable English usage.
    – James
    Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 17:54
  • Can you perhaps think of some alternatives then? Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 17:58
  • As @James says, I'm working through the textbook is perfectly acceptable. But if you're going to specifically identify it as textbook A, you shouldn't precede it by the article the. Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 18:07
  • @FumbleFingers Even if A is replaced by the title of the textbook? Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 18:10

1 Answer 1


There is nothing wrong with

I'm working through the textbook English for Beginners.

You could use

I'm working my way through the textbook.
I'm using English for Beginners to study.
I'm studying English using English for Beginners

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .