This is, I believe, crucial, because one might misunderstood the slight difference of prepositions; and these are:

There is a wound in the back of my body.(any part,but still the backside)

There is a wound at the back of my body.(anal part)

Could you please confirm this if I'm correct?

  • Apart from both should be 'a wound', I don't see what you're asking. 'In' would seem better than 'at' but neither conveys any further distinction as to precisely where. Jun 6, 2018 at 6:10
  • Ok I'll put in the article.
    – John Arvin
    Jun 6, 2018 at 6:53

2 Answers 2


Usually one would further describe which portion of your body you have a wound

I have a wound on my back. (this is literally on your back)
I have a wound on the back of my legs.
I have a wound on my bottom.

If you say

I have a wound in my back.
I have a wound in the back of my leg.
I have a wound in my bottom.

It would be understood that something is piercing your back, bottom, or leg, e.g. a knife.

At would not usually be used by itself.

  • Got it, but how do you say if it is at the anal part(preposition)?
    – John Arvin
    Jun 6, 2018 at 6:56
  • It's the same, as in my examples, "on for a wound", "in my bottom" for a piercing. Do not confuse it with "at the back of the train" which is a long object, your bottom is hopefully not as long.
    – Peter
    Jun 6, 2018 at 7:01

Well, that sounds uncomfortable.

For starters, I'm not sure you want to use wound. You get a wound from being wounded, which is to say, accidentally or deliberately pierced or cut by some object. While it's certainly possible to be wounded on your anus, that would probably make an interesting story.

Instead if you are talking about some other kind of medical condition, lesion is probably the more accurate term:

lesion (n): A region in an organ or tissue which has suffered damage through injury or disease, such as a wound, ulcer, abscess, or tumor.

Lesion is kind of a medical term, so more commonly, and depending what it looked like and what caused it, you would describe it as a blister, boil, cut, bruise, sore, rash, tear, or just an infection.

If you are talking to a doctor, I would recommend being specific about where it is. Otherwise, if you are speaking euphemistically in (relatively) polite company, then "on my bottom" is close enough. Few people really want to know too much detail about something like that.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .