According to Cambridge Dictionary


the mixing of different ideas, influences, or things to make a whole that is different, or new

Is there any related noun that shares the same root synth for the one that "executes" the mix, the agent that creates it. If not, what is the noun that applies to that agent?

Note: synthesizer looked promising but it was a mirage [No pun intended with the Ensoniq Mirage synthesizer]


An electronic musical instrument, typically operated by a keyboard, producing a wide variety of sounds by generating and combining signals of different frequencies

EDITED: After @JavaLatte's answer, let me narrow the context. Let's say that we are talking about computing. If we have a program that calculates D as

A + B + C = D

or the more generic

func(A, B, C) = D

What's the name that you will use for the program? DAggregator does not sound good, nor DCalculator. I love DSynthesizer but the word has been "hijacked" as pointed by @JavaLatte.

  • 1
    does not sound good. sound like seem or look wants an adjective.
    – TimR
    Jun 12, 2018 at 13:27

2 Answers 2


Synthesizer does not have to mean "something that synthesizes sound".

Synthesis is not really synonymous with addition. When you synthesize A and B, ideally you get something that is no longer A or B. In A+B+C=D, all these are numbers and you haven't really "synthesized" anything, just added.

In computing/programming, synthesizing would be a function that takes 2 objects of 2 distinct types and outputs a related or derivative object that's a 3rd separate "combined" type. C++ inheritance can synthesize object types, for example.

In your example, you're calculating or adding, not really synthesizing.

  • I'm talking about a function, I've employed the "+" to simplify, to represent a generic function. I've not found evidence in English on-line dictionaries of your assertion: "Synthesizer does not have to mean "something that synthesizes sound"".
    – RubioRic
    Jun 12, 2018 at 14:05
  • 1
    Most dictionaries won't separately list suffixed versions of nouns unless they are overloaded with an additional meaning. Doesn't mean original suffixed meaning isn't possible. E.g. you won't find synthesizing in the dictionary (Google for example brings up the root word "synthesize").
    – LawrenceC
    Jun 12, 2018 at 14:24
  • But notice that we have such overloading with "synthesizer" and only one meaning is listed. Well, it's not exactly that we have two different meanings. The specialization [synthesize sound] seems to have "obscure" the general one [synthesize something]. Anyway ... you think that it can be used in my case and that it's semantically correct, don't you?
    – RubioRic
    Jun 12, 2018 at 15:00

synthesizer would be the correct general term for an agent of synthesis, however it has been hijacked by electronic music industry.

Generally, one uses a specific term that relates to the kind of thing being synthesized: that might be a chemical factory (for bulk chemicals), a lab (for complex chemicals like pharmaceuticals), a plant (which photosynthesises sugars), an editor (for publications), a cook (for foods), etc.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .