I have come across an article titled " Scientists have invented a software that allows you to see several minutes into the future".

Software is an uncountable noun. Don't we usually say" a piece of software" instead of "a software"?

  • 2
    Yes, we do usually say a piece of software. That would be better English. It'd be wonderful if you could provide the link to the article you're reading so that we all could see who wrote it. Jun 15, 2018 at 15:32
  • Related question: ell.stackexchange.com/q/63241/9161
    – ColleenV
    Jun 15, 2018 at 16:10
  • 2
    Don't look to clickbait sites like Science Alert and its ilk for examples of how to use English. And in about 99% of cases, I would say don't look to them for science, either. There is so much oversimplified, misinterpreted, and hyped up writing there that I would think robots were writing it.
    – choster
    Jun 15, 2018 at 16:13
  • Here is the link. google.com.tw/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/…
    – Tom Lee
    Jun 15, 2018 at 16:20
  • Thank you Choster. I am beginning to think so as well.
    – Tom Lee
    Jun 15, 2018 at 16:21

1 Answer 1


Yes, good catch. There's a mistake in the article you read. It is likely that the person who wrote the article is not a native speaker of English.

Another way to write it would be

Scientists have invented software that allows you to see several minutes into the future.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .