What are the metal parts of a boot where the laces are meant to go called? There are the circle parts and the hook parts. Do these have a different name each, or do they have the same name?


4 Answers 4


The Weinbrenner Shoe Company calls them hook eyelets and set eyelets:

Diagram of various parts of a boot


For shoes and other clothing and accessories, eyelet is the common term:

noun [countable] a small hole in cloth surrounded by a metal ring, for putting a string or rope through [Macmillan]

The more generic term is grommet, though in my experience this usually refers to a larger hole as might be used for a sail or tarpaulin.

  • 7
    +1 for grommet, which I was going to answer with. Jun 20, 2018 at 17:06
  • 3
    In British English we'd normally use eyelet even for the big holes in tarpaulins. Grommet is mainly used for a cable exit/strain relief part.
    – Chris H
    Jun 21, 2018 at 15:17
  • 2
    @ChrisH And also for an item implanted in the ear to relieve glue ear. You’ve apparently forgotten the War of Jennifer’s Ear.
    – Mike Scott
    Jun 22, 2018 at 6:55
  • @MikeScott I was too young to vote in 92 so had to Google it just now. The ear implant did occur to me but I left it out
    – Chris H
    Jun 22, 2018 at 9:16

It is indeed an eyelet as others have answered. And the part of the lace that you push through the eyelet is called an aglet (the rigid plastic cylinder that binds the end of the lace).

  • 1
    eyelet : "1. a small round hole in leather or cloth for threading a lace, string, or rope through." - It's a grommet only if it has a grommet (a metal or leather ring).
    – Mazura
    Jun 21, 2018 at 0:48

Definition from the Collins English Dictionary:

An eyelet is a small hole with a metal or leather ring around it in cloth, for example, on a sail. You can put cord, rope, or string through it.

  • 1
    Odd that the definition doesn't include a plastic ring. Plastic eyelets are common too
    – Chris H
    Jun 21, 2018 at 15:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .