Supposing we are in a theatre, and a puppet show is on. What verb should be used to describe the movement by which that person on stage moves the puppet?

Here's what I am thinking of:

enter image description here

  • It may well be the case that no single word exists for "puppet moving hand motions". Is there a single word in your native language? – James K Jun 28 '18 at 7:59
  • Being a Hungarian, I cannot think of a single verb which would clearly describe that movement. I can say things like "játszani a bábuval" (to play with the puppet), "megtáncoltatni a bábut" (to make the puppet dance) "húzogatni a bábut" (to keep pulling up and down the puppet) etc, but these are only vague descriptions, I think. – Marcus Jun 28 '18 at 9:41

Puppets are the ones that are controlled by hands. Those controlled from above by a wire or string are called "marionette" and the one who controls marionettes is called "marionettist".

You could say:

The marionettist animates / controls / manipulates the marionette from above.

  • I like "animates". It's not the usual sense, but it works very well. – James K Jun 28 '18 at 11:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.