I was looking for the correct formal and legal term that describes a company/firm with one employee.

I came across different terms: one-man business, one-person enterprise, sole proprietor--of which I was not able to determine the most appropriate one and the difference between these terms.

  • Different countries probably have different legal terms. UK uses 'sole proprietor'. The others may be 'description' rather than legal status. Jul 6 '18 at 6:34
  • Please write your answer as an answer, not as a comment.
    – James K
    Jul 6 '18 at 6:38
  • As a minor aside, I wonder whether a person might be "employed" by the sole trader company he/she established. What might be the best description of this person's relationship to the company? Jul 6 '18 at 9:56

In the UK, the legal term is "sole trader", (see https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader). This is one of the classes of company under tax law (the others are a "partnership", a "private limited company" and a "public limited company").

A sole trader can employ any number of employees, but they have no stake in the business. A typical example would be an independent plumber.

(It would be possible to set up a limited company with one director who is also the only shareholder, but this would be unusual.)

I believe the legal US term is "sole proprietorship"

You would normally only use "sole trader" in a legal context. In casual contexts you could use any of the various examples you give in the question

If you are earning more than £1000 by selling hairbows on etsy, you should set up as a "sole trader" and register for tax self-assessment, otherwise you could find yourself arrested for tax evasion.

I heard Mary's one-woman business is doing really well, she made £8000 pounds last year selling hairbows!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.