I'm working as a waiter in a restaurant and I can't go to work for a few days. So I wanted to ask my friend to go to work instead of me.

Is there any expression to ask this to my friend and to tell my boss?

I got some words for this but not sure if it's right: replace, substitute, backup.

And which one can be used in an informal situation (to friend) and a formal situation?


I don't think any of those three choices are particularly good in this case. Maybe replace, as in "Can you replace me for a few days?"

I can think of two ways to phrase it:

  1. Can you go into work for me for a few days?
  2. Can you cover for me for a few days?

The bolded for indicates that the friend will go to work on your behalf. Cover is the verb I know that people use when they want to ask a friend to work for them when they're sick, have an appointment, or even when they want to sneak out (leave without permission). In my opinion, you can use either with a friend or boss. Here's a definition of cover from M-W:

2 : to act as a substitute or replacement during an absence • a stand-in covering for an injured star

  • No problem. Please consider waiting longer before accepting an answer. It gives others a chance to post more answers and vet existing ones. :) – Em. Jul 7 '18 at 4:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.