Let's say if I write 2 + 2 = 5 with a pen, and realize that was wrong. What's the act of drawing "squiggles"/lines over the answer called?

  • But to be clear, squiggles aren't lines. You should be more specific. – user3169 Jul 8 '18 at 18:50

When you draw over something in that sense, you cross out (or are crossing out) a mistake:


: to draw a line through (something) to show that it is wrong · cross out a mistake · He had crossed his name out.

It doesn't need to be a squiggle; it can be anything that shows you are covering up the mistake.


If you want to distinguish between neat "crossing out" and the messy appearance from drawing lots of "squiggles" you can say "scribble out"

{teacher} If you make a mistake just take your ruler and draw a line through it. Don't scribble out your mistakes, because that makes your book look messy.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.