Can we use a word "burst" as an adjective? If not, which word can we use instead of this word?

For example is it correct to say:

I had a "burst" (adj) pipe in my room.

  • 1
    See this meta discussion and provide us with a complete sentence in which you wish to use that word.
    – user3395
    Commented Jul 13, 2018 at 17:35
  • I saw this word in a sentence from the book I am reading at the moment.
    – Nana G.
    Commented Jul 13, 2018 at 17:48
  • 1
    Short answer: Yes. Please provide more context if you want to know more.
    – Andrew
    Commented Jul 13, 2018 at 17:56
  • I had a "burst'(adj) pipe in my room-is it correct?
    – Nana G.
    Commented Jul 13, 2018 at 17:59

1 Answer 1


The past participle of the verb 'burst', is also 'burst', so you could see something like 'my balloon is burst', or "I needed a plumber when I had a burst pipe' where the participle is used as an adjective. Other participles which might be applied, as adjectives, to a pipe, might be buried, painted, curved, broken, hidden, etc.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .